Press conference in Yangon on Thursday 26 September Jimmy Carter leads the Elders’ first delegation to Myanmar to support the country’s democratic transition and encourage peace and reconciliation.
On Tuesday 24 September several members of The Elders will begin a 3-day visit to Myanmar, travelling to Yangon and Nay Pyi Taw.
The Elders travelling to Myanmar are:
- Jimmy Carter, former US President and Nobel Peace Laureate – delegation leader;
- Martti Ahtisaari, former President of Finland and Nobel Peace Laureate;
- Gro Harlem Brundtland, former Prime Minister of Norway and former Director-General of the World Health Organization, Deputy Chair of The Elders.
The Elders will have private meetings with high-level officials in the Myanmar government as well as other political leaders, religious leaders and civil society groups, including women’s organisations. The objective of their visit is to support the country’s political transition to democracy, encourage the peace process between the government and ethnic minority armed groups and promote local efforts to address inter-communal strife.
Thursday 26 September 2013
13:30 MMT (07:00 GMT)
Press conference in Yangon
Venue: The Strand Hotel, Grill Room
A press release will be issued and distributed at the time of the press conference.
Important note for journalists wishing to attend the press conference:
- Please note that The Elders’ schedule is subject to change.
- Media representatives must arrive one hour in advance to allow for security checks and will be asked to show valid ID.
- Please note that the Elders will not be available for interviews.
Media inquiries: media@theElders.org