Press conference in Yangon on Thursday 18 December This week, Gro Harlem Brundtland, Martti Ahtisaari, Lakhdar Brahimi and Hina Jilani begin a visit to Myanmar and Thailand, meeting with government, military and civil society. They aim to encourage progress towards an inclusive, democratic and just society.
On Friday 12 December 2014, four members of The Elders will begin a one-week visit to Thailand (12–13 December) and Myanmar (14–18 December).
Ahead of a pivotal year for Myanmar, the Elders are continuing their efforts to encourage progress towards an inclusive, democratic and just society that reflects the full diversity and talents of the Myanmar people, and to help bring about a lasting peace to ongoing conflict with different ethnic groups.
The Elders travelling to the region are:
- Gro Harlem Brundtland, former Prime Minister of Norway, former Director-General of the World Health Organization and Deputy Chair of The Elders (delegation leader);
- Martti Ahtisaari, former President of Finland and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate;
- Lakhdar Brahimi, former Foreign Minister of Algeria and United Nations envoy;
- Hina Jilani, international human rights defender from Pakistan.
In Chiang Mai, Thailand, the Elders will meet the Women’s League of Burma and other groups to discuss current concerns.
In Yangon, Myanmar, the Elders will have private meetings. In Nay Pyi Taw, they will have meetings with senior members of the Myanmar government, the armed forces and parliament.
This will be the third time that the Elders have travelled to Myanmar in little over a year. Following their first visit alongside fellow Elder Jimmy Carter (former US President) in September 2013, Gro Harlem Brundtland and Martti Ahtisaari returned to the country for the Elders’ second visit in March 2014.
Media opportunity - UPDATE
Press conference in Yangon: Thursday 18 December
Time: 19.30 MMT (13.00 GMT)
Venue: Yankin Room, Sedona Hotel, Yangon
A press release will be issued and distributed at the time of the press conference.
Important note for journalists wishing to attend the press conference:
- Please note that the schedule is subject to change. For updates, please email: media@theElders.org.
- Media representatives must arrive 30 minutes in advance and will be asked to show a valid ID.
To receive updates about the visit, please register your interest by emailing media enquiries: media@theElders.org.
The Elders’ media availability will be very limited.